How Much Does a DWI Cost in Houston?
Posted on Aug 27, 2013 9:02am UTC
How much can a conviction for driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving under the influence (DUI) in Houston cost? According to statistics, anywhere from $9,000 to $38,000, depending on the nature of the case and the charge. If you ask convicted offenders, however, you may find that a DWI can cost far more than money alone.
A recent DWI infographic that breaks down the costs and potential expenses of a DWI conviction does an excellent job of outlining the various costs associated with DWIs and DUIs. Aside from criminal penalties that can include probation, community service, and terms of imprisonment, consequences will also include a great deal of expenses – both those handed down by the court and other collateral costs.
Some of these include:
- Fines – court fines can range from $600 – $2,000 for a standard first offense. They can increase depending on the severity of the charge. For example, DWIs resulting in injury, DWIs with a child passenger, and DWIs involving hit and run accidents can result in more severe penalties and larger fines.
- Various court costs, administrative expenses, and legal fees
- DUI treatment / court-ordered classes
- Car towing, impoundment, and daily car storage costs
- Ignition Interlock Device (IID) installation and monthly fees
- Driver’s license reinstatement fees
- Increased auto insurance premiums
- Lost wages from missing work or potentially losing one’s job and salary
- Costs of public transportation
There is no denying the fact that Texas imposes incredibly harsh DWI and DUI penalties, especially when it comes to penalties that compromise an individual’s time, finances, and overall well-being. As the consequences in place can be severe and costly, those who stand accused of a DWI or DUI in Houston should make it a priority to work with a Houston DWI lawyer who has the experience, the resources, and the determination to create an effective defense.
At Billy Skinner & Associates, Attorney Billy Skinner is prepared to fully inform you about the charges and potential penalties you may face. By working personally with you, he can work toward crafting a strong defense and toward mitigating or eliminating harsh consequences. If you would like to discuss your case with a Houston DWI attorney from our firm, please call (713) 364 – 0777 or request a free case evaluation today.