How to Find a Criminal Defense Attorney in Houston
Posted on Oct 24, 2013 1:29pm UTC
Following an arrest, there are many different choices that you will be faced with, but none as important as the decision of who will represent you during the course of your case. While you may have the option to work with a public defender appointed to you, this is not always in your best interest. While these are often good lawyers, they can be overworked and not given enough time to know your case and develop personalized defense strategies. If you are looking to protect your future, do not hesitate to find a good criminal lawyer in your area.
Below, we explain some of the steps you can take to find such an attorney.
If You Are Being Held in Custody…
It will be much more difficult to find a criminal defense lawyer in the greater Houston area. You will be stripped of the ability to comparison-shop as you normally would and will be constrained by finances. In these situations, it is important to rely on family members or friends to do the research for you or to recommend lawyers they know. You could also ask a bail bondsmen for their referrals.
If You Are Not in Custody…
You will have many more options to pursue. You can still ask for referrals from family, loved ones, or other professionals; however, you are not limited to that. You also have the option to do the following:
- You can visit a local courtroom and sit through some public sessions. If a particular lawyer impresses you, you can always write down their name to contact them later.
- You can make use of professional organizations or a local bar association’s lawyer referral panel.
- You can look online for those who have been certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Make use of online directories (such as Avvo) and read reviews directly from past clients.
- Look for winners of certain awards, such as lawyers who have been AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell®.
When You Should Contact Billy Skinner & Associates
At the end of the day, a good criminal defense lawyer is not only one that is qualified, but also one that you feel comfortable with. Therefore, it is extremely important that you do not waste any time in contacting lawyers in your area to set up interviews where you can get to know these legal professionals. At Billy Skinner & Associates, we are proud to work closely with our clients to help them defend their legal rights.
Our firm prides itself on the following:
- We make ourselves directly available to clients 24/7—whenever they need us
- Our lead attorney is a former prosecutor experienced in the criminal justice system
- Attorney Billy Skinner was the recipient of the 2012 Avvo Clients’ Choice Award
- We provide personal attention to every single detail of our clients’ cases
- We think everyone should be able to afford a good criminal lawyer
- We have proven that we CARE about our clients & care about their future
- We are passionate about helping our clients protect their freedoms
If you are looking for a criminal defense lawyer in Harris County or surrounding areas, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible. With extensive experience, we have proven time and time again that we can be trusted as advocates in criminal cases. To learn more about our firm and to see whether or not we will be a good fit for you, give us a call today at (713) 600-7777. Schedule a free consultation over the phone or fill out our online case evaluation form. Either way, we look forward to hearing from you soon!